Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Toots' Blueberry Pie

The pie I most strongly associate with my grandmother is her blueberry pie. It was the one she taught me how to make when I was about 5 and is still my favorite. I was lucky enough to find some really nice late winter berries and couldn't resist getting an early taste of summer. I think this is based on a recipe for double blueberry pie in a brochure from the Michigan blueberry council.

Start by baking a pie shell. Prick the bottom and sides of the crust or it will have air bubbles.

In a medium sauce pan, combine 3/4 cup sugar and 3T cornstarch (a little more if you want your pie a little firmer). Add 1/4 cup water (I usually start with a little less than that and add if necessary) and about 2 cups of blueberries.


Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and is thickened.


The mixture should be clear and very thick.

Remove from heat and stir in 1T butter and 1T lemon juice. In a pinch you can use key lime juice in place of lemon - it gives a slightly softer flavor.

Place 2 cups of uncooked blueberries in the cooked pie crust.

Spread cooked berry mixture on top. Be sure to spread all the way across the top of the pie to seal the edges to the crust.

My grandfather always finished it off by adding our first name initial in whipped cream but I think it is just as good plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment