Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Toot's Bacardi Rum Cake

This was a favorite of mine as a kid - Grammy only made it for holidays and I loved it. It felt like a very grown up treat. Both kids loved it and I caught my 9 year old "trimming" a piece meant to go to my dad so she could get just a little more!





Cake:
1 cup chopped pecans
1 18 1/2 oz box yellow cake mix (do NOT get one that says pudding in the mix)
1 3 3/4 oz box instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use canola)
1/2 cup dark rum

Preheat oven to 325. Grease and flour a 10" tube or 12" bundt pan. I sprayed mine with nonstick spray and then coated with flour and the cake popped right out of the pan. Normally I would skip the flour but in this case it is worth the effort. Sprinkle the nuts on the bottom of the prepared pan. Mix all cake ingredients together and pour batter over the nuts. Bake one hour or until a toothpick inserted close to the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan. Invert the cake onto a serving plate. Prick the top with a fork or skewer. I also pricked a few spots on the sides.

Glaze:
1 stick butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark rum

Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly so it doesn't burn. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Spoon and brush glaze evenly over top and sides. Allow cake to absorb glaze. Repeat until glaze is used up.

No comments:

Post a Comment